Sunday, December 11, 2005

Healthcare Smealthcare: Bum Foot Addition

So Thursday is basketball night in Annapolis, about 8:15 my dad, silly man tried to drive to the net on me, sure enough he got a step on me, but that was the last comfortable step on his right foot for say I don't know 4-6 weeks. So at first he was thinking okay I can walk it off, then he decided to take off his sneaker, no swelling, not a bad sign. Finally at 9:00 he let me drive him to the hospital/healthcare center. There was one other person there, an older fellow who sounded like he had a bit of a bad cough.... The doctor who was on call was dad's family doctor, that's good right, the nurse sat dad done on a little cot, gave him a little bag of ice, then disappeared. We waited we waited, its 10:00 no doctor no nurse, dad is Christ I would rather be uncomfortable and miserable at home, then uncomfortable and miserable here. 10:45, fuck dad says I am becoming impatient, 10:50 the good doctor arrives... Asks a few questions, then poked and prodded his foot saying does this hurt, how about this... Anyway five minutes of high speed doctoring and the doctor says come back tomorrow morning at 8:30 for xrays, the doctor was half way out the door when I was like um ah hey could we maybe get some crutches and some nice painkillers.... Right said the doctor I am not sure if we have crutches... I point to the corner, I had been eyeing them all night, doctor fully out the door now I will get the nurse to give you some pills... 4 Tylinols...yipee. So there you have it, an hour and 45 minutes in a cot and my dad was looked at and released in all of 5 minutes. I mean I know Thursday is Survivor, and CSI night but wow... You think the good doctor could have arrived a little faster, no sense me missing my shows either.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought doctor B was a bit of a wanker! I have to admit I have lost a significant amount of faith in the medical system. not to mention the legal one. Last christmas Dave and I broke dads head and this year you broke his foot ;) the lanes are a rowdy bunch.

12/11/2005 2:42 p.m.  
Blogger Joseph said...

no doubt... age could be a factor what.... shitty time to be hurt though. ya that puesdo-hospital is a joke. iam not sure what can be done with the healthcare system, vote NDP i guess, at least they will spend some money on it.

12/11/2005 3:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now wait just one minute!!! You can break a lot of parts of me, but ya can't break my head. It takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n. Age is not a factor either, a fact maybe but not a factor. plus i recover quickly so watch out.

PG

12/22/2005 1:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home